Boreout is a state of paralyzing boredom and complete lack of drive at work. The longer it lasts, the more it becomes a vicious circle from which there seems to be no escape. Boreout can make you seriously ill. The symptoms are similar to those of burnout.
In 5 Steps out of Boredom
So don't let it get that far! Our 5 steps will help you prevent boreout. Respectively to get out of the vicious circle.
1. Analyze your situation
To do this, ask yourself these questions:
- What factors contribute to me being bored at work?
- What do I myself contribute to being bored? Be honest with yourself when answering this question!
- What has to be different for me to be motivated for my work?
Document what you have found out. Discuss your analysis with someone you trust. They can give you valuable feedback.
2. Based on your documented analysis, prepare a conversation with your supervisor(s). This takes some courage but is unavoidable if you really want to escape a boreout.
Don't be afraid of the interview – no boss wants bored workers on the team.
3. Think about concrete suggestions for improving your work situation. With these you go into the conversation.
Think about the following:
- Do I want new, more challenging tasks?
- What development opportunities are there for me in this job, in this company?
- Do I want to stay in the company, but in a different function?
- Do I want to take more responsibility for my work?
- Would further training be useful for me?
- Do I want more recognition and appreciation for my work?
4. Discuss with your supervisor(s) any possibilities that arise from your suggestions.
Record the outcome of the interview in writing and send it to your supervisor.
5. Be clear about whether the proposed measures solve your problem with boredom. If they do, make sure they are implemented as soon as possible.
If the measures are not enough for you, dare to reorient yourself. You have to look for a job where you can better use your skills and where you can realize your professional potential.
At this point – or even earlier – it may be worth your while to seek career or vocational counseling. So that you don't end up at the same point again.
What can Do against Boredom as well
Your work is not your whole life and you often cannot improve your professional situation overnight. That's why we give you more tips against boredom:
- In the analysis you have determined what you yourself contribute to boredom. Think about how you can make your work more interesting. Set yourself ambitious goals, challenge yourself. Make an effort. Science has found out that there is also positive stress. This "eustress" keeps your brain fit and triggers happiness hormones.
- You yourself have too little to do, but others are happy when you support them. This way you are less bored and the thanks of your colleagues is guaranteed.
- As a balance to your boring job, pursue interesting, challenging hobbies and exchange ideas with interesting people.
- Get involved in volunteer work – your skills are in demand there and you will be appreciated.
More on boreout
ArticleSome employees are reluctant to go to work, as it is often a source of stress for them. Is it possible to reverse this trend? Employés Suisse took a look at the ways in which employees can make their working lives more enjoyable.
Am I Susceptible to Boreout?ArticleBoreout – can it happen to me too? Here are the most important factors that can cause boreout.
Boreout – a Vicious CircleArticleBoreout is much more than twiddling your thumbs at work. It is a condition that can make people seriously ill.